The humble cabbage has an undeservedly poor reputation I think. It all boils down to, (sorry ;)) people boiling it for way too long. Whilst I do enjoy briefly boiled cabbage (ideally smothered in black pepper and oodles of butter), I tend to eat it far more regularly raw. Which is where my simple spicy salad of cabbage comes in…
Simple Cabbage Salad With a Kick
Since this is a simple salad the ingredients list is pretty short;
- 1/2 a small white cabbage shredded finely
- 1/2 an onion sliced into thin half moons
- 1/2 cucumber again sliced into thin half moons
- 2 red chillis sliced as thin as possible
- juice of one lemon
- a tablespoon of olive oil and a pinch of sea salt, along with some freshly ground black pepper.
The method is to simply bung everything into a bowl and give it a good mix around. Allow it to stand for about half an hour to let the flavors develop. This salad recipe holds up pretty well to being eaten the next day as left-overs. But, if you’re planning on doing that leave out the cucumber as that can get a little soggy.